cable extension and dongle

Cables, Electrodes, Plugs, etc.
martram

cable extension and dongle

Postby martram » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:20 am

Hi,

If I want extension cables for the bitalino revolution board, is there any option that you sell with female to male connectors?
Can I use any third party cables?

I also have a problem using bitalino with open signals. When I want to enable the device I receive an error message saying : the communication port does not exist or it is already being used.

Doesn't the OpenSignals application work with any third party bluetooth dongle? Or is it a problem related to the OS (windows 10)?

Thanks,
Martin

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: cable extension and dongle

Postby BITalino » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Martin,

We can either produce male-female extension cables, sensor or electrode cables as per your desired length... please contact us by e-mail to bitalino@plux.info for pricing and lead time.

Regarding the issue you are experiencing with OpenSignals, please review our Bluetooth troubleshooting guide bellow:
http://www.bitalino.com/docs/Bluetooth_Troubleshoot.pdf

In principle the Bluetooth versions of BITalino don't require a specific dongle (only the BLE version does, for the time being), although we have identified a dongle with good performance to handle the BITalino data throughput:
https://store.plux.info/accessories/205-bitalino-proven-bluetooth-dongle-810121501.html

We have several users (us included) working on Windows 10, reason for which it shouldn't be OS-related. If the issue persists let us know.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

martram

Postby martram » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply,
I should have specified it's not a Bluetooth dongle but a Bluetooth Low-Energy one.
The one I have is the Plugable BLE USB adapter
https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Bluetoot ... B009ZIILLI

Overall compatibility seemed good enough, so, I imagined that it would work as well for the Bitalino.
There is no third party option for BLE that is known to work then? It would be better for the shipping cost and time since I'm in Canada.

I will send you an email for specifications for the cables, thanks again.

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Martin,

Being a BLE version if you want to use our OpenSignals software it currently only works on Windows and a BlueGiga BLED112 dongle is required:
https://www.silabs.com/products/wireless/bluetooth/bluetooth-smart-modules/Pages/bled112-bluetooth-smart-dongle.aspx

You can try to source it locally (as it may be easier, cheaper and faster to obtain) or you can choose to purchase it from our store:
https://store.plux.info/accessories/207-bitalino-proven-ble-dongle-810121502.html

If you're looking to develop your own software, please be advised that the Android API by Gonçalo Telo and the iOS and Mac OS X APIs by Jasmin Nisic available for download on our website do not require the dongle:
http://bitalino.com/index.php/development/apis

Apologies for the inconvenience, but for the time being its the best that we can do. In case you have any further questions, let us know.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

martram

Postby martram » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:34 am

Hi,
I've received a new dongle that I ordered in Canada based on your recommandations. I can now capture data, though all I get is noise it seems.
For exemple if I put the electrodes to capture data for EDA and put them on my hand, I get the same data as when I don't even touch the electrodes.

bitalinoisysignal.jpg
bitalinoisysignal.jpg (98.93 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

Could it be the BLE adapter that is faulty or getting too much interference from other dongles that I use?
Is there something I can do to troubleshoot for the issue?

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:46 am

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you're already managing to connect to the device and acquire data. From the screenshot it seems that you are acquiring and visualising data from analog input A1 (as indicated on the bar to the right hand side of the plot).

Please confirm that you have the EDA sensor connected indeed to that channel... depending on your BITalino model (e.g. if its the Board) the EDA is connected to channel A3 instead, which would mean that you're looking at data from another sensor.

The inputs on the BITalino MCU are general purpose, reason for which you need to confirm to which channel is the EDA sensor connected. All pins are labelled on the back of the PCB; analog channels are marked as Ax (x=1, ..., 6).

If you're using the BITalino Board, there's one pin labelled Ax on the each sensor (that's the number of the channel to which it is connected); on the BITalino Plugged you need to confirm on the back of the main board which is the Ax pin associated with the UC-E6 plug your sensor is connected to.

Another common issue (particular to the Plugged version) is related with cables connected to the sensors the other way around. The 2-lead electrode cable assembly should go on the plug with 3 pins next to it, while the sensor connection cable should go on the plug with 4 pins next to it.

Hope that some of these pointers can help you reach a viable setup. Let us know if you continue to experience any issues so we can try other support options.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

martram

Postby martram » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks! I was indeed looking at the wrong channel (I have the BLE board kit, so you guessed right)

I then have another issue, It starts to be a bit off topic(let me know if you want me to open another thread), but, once done with a test, I press on stop, then I press on the save button and I get this error in a popup window:
Input data must have at least 6 columns.

The length of the data acquisition can be long, so I'm not sure what is meant by columns.

Thanks for your help again.

Return to “Accessories”