Firmware upgrade - how to connect?

MCU, Firmware, etc.
ole.traupe

Firmware upgrade - how to connect?

Postby ole.traupe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:51 am

Hi, it's about this firmware upgrade for the mid-2014 boards:
https://github.com/BITalinoWorld/firmware-bitalino

My questions are:
- how to power the board during update? with battery, usb, or via AVR programmer? if the latter, with 3.3 or 5 V?
- is there some sort of connector on the market I can use with the holes on the board (plugged version) or do I have to solder?

Thanks!

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: Firmware upgrade - how to connect?

Postby BITalino » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Ole,

Just as a foreword, please retrieve the current firmware on your device before you upload the new one... just in case. The recommended way is to leave the battery disconnected from the board and power it using the AVR ISP @3.3V.

To tap into the pins we prefer to solder standard PCB pin headers with 2.54mm pitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header), which tends to be more practical than soldering directly wires onto your BITalino.

If you prefer, we can also provide you a solderless ISP to BITalino breakout accessory (like the one we use); you can request a quotation by e-mail to bitalino@plux.info.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

ole.traupe wrote:Hi, it's about this firmware upgrade for the mid-2014 boards:
https://github.com/BITalinoWorld/firmware-bitalino

My questions are:
- how to power the board during update? with battery, usb, or via AVR programmer? if the latter, with 3.3 or 5 V?
- is there some sort of connector on the market I can use with the holes on the board (plugged version) or do I have to solder?

Thanks!

ole.traupe

Postby ole.traupe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:36 pm

I checked: it was v3.3.

However, when I try to flash the "main.hex" file, I get an "unsupported format" error (see attached image).

I am trying to flash from Windows 7 64bit with the AVR Studio 5.1.208.
Attachments
failure.JPG
failure.JPG (94.75 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Last edited by ole.traupe on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ole.traupe

Postby ole.traupe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Is it correct that I don't have to switch the Bitalino on? When I connected the ISP programmer (actually, it is a "DIAMEX ALL-AVR AVR-PROGRAMMER" which is recognized by AVR Studio as the "AVRISP mkii" and is said to have a mkii-compatible USB inferface) the first time, the white and red LED on the Bitalino lightened up for some seconds. Now, of course, they don't anymore, as I erased the chip right away. ;)

Stupid question, but could it under any circumstances be that the hex-file with its 63 kb is too large for an ATmega328P?

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi,

Although we normally use the AVRDUDE tool to program the devices, our original .HEX has been successfully tested on the AVR Studio simulator.

Our original .HEX file has 8 kB, leading us to believe that you may have downloaded the HTML page rather than the raw file.

To correctly download the file you need right-click the Raw button and choose the Save As... option using the link bellow:
https://github.com/BITalinoWorld/firmware-bitalino/blob/master/prebuilt/main.hex

Another option is to left-click Raw button, copy all of the content shown on the browser and paste it to a text editor from which you then save to .HEX.

Hope you found this information to be useful; do contact us for any further question you may have.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

ole.traupe

Postby ole.traupe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 am

Ok, I see where my mistake was. BUT it would have a nice touch if you added "Use this link to get to the download page." to the flashing description. Especially, if this website's address' filename part is 'main.hex', just as the file I actually intended to download. :)

Just to state it unmistakably: if you right-click the link to the downlad page, you get a file named 'main.hex' which is (now) 64 kb large. It is no '.htm' or '.html' file or anything.

Update: programming is successfull now, version() says "BITalino_v4.0".
Last edited by ole.traupe on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:16 am

Hi Ole,

GitHub is indeed a bit rough around the edges in a few aspects, but it combines several convenient features as well... we've consider your suggestion and updating the link to the main.hex file in the description ;)

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

ole.traupe

Postby ole.traupe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 am

Great, thanks!

carlos arroyo

Postby carlos arroyo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:17 am

hi,
is it possible to connect the bitalino with other communication module such as Xbee instead of the Bt?

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Carlos,

You can replace the Bluetooth module by any other UART compatible interface.

In principle you should only need to connect the RX & TX lines and power up your XBee module.

BITalino is set for a 115200kbps baud rate, and the communication protocol can be found here:
http://bitalino.com/datasheets/MCU_Block_Datasheet.pdf

We hope that this works out for you; do let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Microcontroller”