MCU - BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini

MCU, Firmware, etc.
rafalucax

MCU - BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini

Postby rafalucax » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Hello there!

I intend to use the BiTalino Board to do a integrated acquisition of physiologic and flight data and to save it in a SD card. To do such thing i need to connect other sensors to the MCU. I think that the best way to do it is to replace the MCU of the BiTalino board for an Arduino Pro 3.3V through the BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini.
Regarding this i have some questions:
Using the BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini the communications protocol is the same ?
Is it possible to connect some other sensors to the pins of the Arduino Pro 3.3V?

Thanks,

Rafael Lucas

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: MCU - BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini

Postby BITalino » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Rafael,

With the Resurrection Pro Mini the behaviour of the Arduino is exactly the same... what that PCB does is facilitate the connection between BITalino components and the Arduino, in particular power, analog inputs, etc.

You can always connect the BITalino sensors and peripherals to an Arduino without the Resurrection Pro Mini.

When using the sensors with third-party devices like the Arduino, you just need to be careful with the power as several BITalino sensors cannot be powered at 5V. Also, in the ExG sensors a midpoint voltage is needed.

The midpoint voltage is VCC/2 and can be provided using a voltage regulator (preferable) or a resistive voltage divider:
http://forum.bitalino.com/viewtopic.php?t=98

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

rafalucax

Postby rafalucax » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:50 am

Thanks for the quick answer, was very useful!
I think that i will use the Ressurection Pro Mini because i need to acquire data of all the BiTalino sensors. However, i have one more doubt. I've already read the Ressurection Pro Mini and i still don't know how many pins of the Arduino will be used by the BiTalino sensors.
Can you tell me which pins of the Arduino will be used by the BiTalino sensors?
And can i connect the BiTalino sensors to an Arduino directly from the BiTalino board whithout removing them?

Thanks,
Rafael Lucas

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am

In attachment you'll find the Arduino Pro Mini footprint with the used pins labelled... we will make the schematics available soon, if you send us an e-mail we'll be more than happy to share it.

Essentially for the sensors we're using A1-A6 (although you're free to leave some of the sensors unconnected and free such channels.

If you break away the BITalino MCU, you can use PCB headers to connect the Molex Sherlock pinout on the sensors to the Molex Sherlock footprint on the BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini board... the Molex Sherlock pinout headers are these:
https://store.plux.info/handy-tools/248-1x4-pcb-header-with-sherlock-plug-pitch-810122931.html

The other components you may want to use are the Bluetooth and PWR blocks. To connect these to the BITalino Resurrection Pro Mini board standard PCB headers can be used:
https://store.plux.info/handy-tools/246-1x6-pcb-header-with-standard-pitch-810122930.html

Hope you found this information useful. If you have any further questions, just let us know.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

PCB-RESPM-NC-BACK.jpg
Arduino pinout on Resurrection Pro Mini breakout board
PCB-RESPM-NC-BACK.jpg (146.26 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

rafalucax

Postby rafalucax » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the answer! Sorry for the consecutive questions, but i'm a beginner! :)
I've noticed that you have the BITalino Plugged Kit available!
Can i use this kit and the Ressurection Pro Mini?
Can i connect third-party sensors to the Plugged Kit?
For example, i want to use the AltIMU-10 v5, available here : https://www.pololu.com/product/2739 , and i want to connect that to the bitalino or arduino. Is possible to pulg ths sensor to the Plugged Kit?

Thanks,
Rafael Lucas

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Rafael,

Feel free to shoot as many questions as you'd like... we'll be more than happy to support ;)

The main advantage of the BITalino Plugged is the plug & play nature of the sensors.

Given that the Resurrection is targeted at using only a few components from BITalino there's no apparent advantage on using the combination of the two.

Any sensor with an analog output can be seamlessly connected to BITalino.

However, the IMU that you've highlighted has a digital interface.

While it can also be connected to BITalino, it requires you to change the firmware and implement its communication protocol.

Should you choose to do that, you can find the source code for the firmware at:
https://github.com/BITalinoWorld/firmwa ... revolution

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

rafalucax

Postby rafalucax » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks, for now i think that you have clarified me! :D
I've already send you and email requesting the schematics for the BiTalino Ressurection Pro Mini so i know which sensors are connected to which pins.I think that when I have this information i can start my project!
I'll wait for your answer.

Best regards,
Rafael Lucas

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Awesome... anything else you need, just let us know ;)

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Microcontroller”