EEG Placement

Connection, ECG, EMG, EDA, etc.
norradcom@msn.com

EEG Placement

Postby norradcom@msn.com » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:24 am

Hello

Are there any tutorials illustrating the number and placement of EEG sensors on the head?

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: EEG Placement

Postby BITalino » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 am

Hi there,

You can find a few guidelines and recommendations in the EEG sensor data sheet:
http://bitalino.com/datasheets/EEG_Sensor_Datasheet.pdf

In case you have any further questions or need additional support, just let us know.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

MrFloppy

Postby MrFloppy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:50 am

I did not start this thread but mine would have had the same title and content so I am picking this one to ask my questions.

I plan to perform some experiments using the Bitalino EEG 151015. I am wondering how I am supposed to place the electrodes. I have one Sensor - so I have to use 3 electrodes (+,- and Reference). I plan to measure in the anteriofrontal area (Positions Fp1 and Fp2 in this case).

1. Do I place + to Fp1 and - to Fp2 or do I have to place + and - together at either Fp1 or Fp2?

2. Is it possible/reasonable to place the reference electrode at Fpz (with the Fp1/Fp2 setting mentioned above)? Is it better to have the distance between reference and +/- as high as possible?

Thank you very much in advance!

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 am

Hi,

Unlike conventional setups, our EEG sensor uses a bipolar differential operating principle... this is advantageous given that it does a better job at removing common mode noise components, however each pair of electrodes corresponds to a single placement.

This means that to monitor FP1 / FP2 or any other standard location, ideally you should use two sensors (4 electrodes). You can also experiment with a single sensor, placing each of the leads over a location, but please note that the output of the sensor will be the voltage difference between both.

Nevertheless, the placement also depends on the goals you want to achieve. The data sheet accessible through the link above has an example placement for P300 analysis.

In standard setups, the sensors have a monopolar setting, and each lead is the result of the different between the electrode lead and the reference point.

The reference in our case works like in regular setups... you can have a single reference for all the sensors and it should be place on an electrically-neutral area (e.g. C6, ear lobe, etc.).

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

martram

Postby martram » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:24 am

Hi,
similarly I'm trying to figure out where to place my electrodes. My issue is what I'm trying to get from it and which placement would correspond better.

I'm new to this, and in a learning phase, so I'm sorry in advance if anything I ask may seem silly.

According to my readings (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the main points of interests for me would be :
F7 is located near centres for rational activities
Fz near intentional and motivational centres
F8 close to sources of emotional impulses
T3 and T4 emotional processors.

What I'm trying to achieve, is to get users' motivation, excitement, emotional tensions and focus during the usage of a video game type test.

I don't think there's a magical solution and that any one location(as bitalino only has one slot for eeg) can get me all of those, but I'm wondering which one would work best to get closer to my goal considering that I could use in addition sensors for EDA for emotional tensions.

Considering my last statement, I would think an EEG with Fz and the EDA would cover most of what I want. Is that correct?

And in any case, where can I put the reference sensor? and How do I know I'm exactly on the right spot for anything?

Also, is there an issue from choosing T3 over T4 or the opposite? should T3 and T4 always be used together as the function seems symmetrical (but the brain process is most likely not replicated symmetrically)?

Sorry again for the many questions,
Thanks!

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 am

We're terribly sorry, but these are application-specific questions for which we currently don't have particularly useful answers.

Anyway, maybe other users might be able to share their experience.

If you happen to find other pointers that may be useful for others as well, we'd greatly appreciate if you could share them here.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Sensors”