Digital Output options

Functionality, Add-ons, etc.
Phil

Digital Output options

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 am

Hello everyone,

this might be an obvious thing for some of you but I can not figure it out ^^.
What are the buttons in the digital output section of the OpenSignals Software doing? You can click on them and they change their color. But even after looking on the "manual"pages I do not understand what they are doing. I do not see any changes in the visualization or the stored log (here every column for digital0, digital1,... is 1 and does not change).

So whats the deal with these buttons? :D

Thank you very much for your answer.
Phil

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: Digital Output options

Postby BITalino » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Phil wrote:Hello everyone,

this might be an obvious thing for some of you but I can not figure it out ^^.
What are the buttons in the digital output section of the OpenSignals Software doing? You can click on them and they change their color. But even after looking on the "manual"pages I do not understand what they are doing. I do not see any changes in the visualization or the stored log (here every column for digital0, digital1,... is 1 and does not change).

So whats the deal with these buttons? :D

Thank you very much for your answer.
Phil

Hi Phil,

Every BITalino has 4 digital output channels that toggle between GND (0V) and VCC (3.3V); these channels are labelled as O1-O4 in the back of the device. The buttons on the digital output side of OpenSignals software serve only to toggle the state of the corresponding digital output.

You will only see changes in the visualisation and in the stored data in case you connect a given Ox channel to an Ix channel, in which case the circles on the digital input section of the OpenSignals should also change color and the corresponding column in the file change from 1 to 0 or vice versa.

The outputs are generally useful for things such as synchronisation with 3rd-party systems, turning on an LED, triggering a device connected to the port, etc. You can see a couple of examples here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=711fqkcEUIw#t=25
https://www.how.do/guide/bitalino-a-tilt-switch

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

carlos arroyo

Postby carlos arroyo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:17 am

hi, how can you do to trigger a digital output from the matlab API? is there an special function ?

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:36 am

Hi,

You have the function trigger([D1, D2, D3, D4]), in which DX (X=1, ..., 4) is a binary value where 1 activates output X and 0 deactivates output X.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

carlos arroyo

Postby carlos arroyo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm

is there a way to create a pwm with the bitalino?

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi Carlos,

In the current version its not trivial. The best you can do is use all the digital outputs to create a 4-bit interface.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Features”