Problems EMG sensors with Arduino

For problems with the BITalino hardware
armero83

Problems EMG sensors with Arduino

Postby armero83 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi, I have been trying to use the bitalino emg sensors with arduino while a subject is using an electric treadmill, however I am getting extremely noisy signals so the emg signal is lost. I'm trying acquire the signal with a wired connection (no bluetooth) and I think the noise is coming from electromagnetic interference generated by the electric treadmill engine.

I've noticed that we don´t have this problem if we use the bitalino board (bluetooth) and the OpenSignals software.

In order to fix this, I've been trying to isolate the bitalino emg sensor by covering it with aluminum foil, or using an extern ground with no success. I also see that when I move away the sensors from the electric treadmill the signals are acquired properly, however for my project is a must to be using the treadmill, so moving away is not a factible solution.
Does anyone have an idea for a possible solution for my problem?
I hope you can help me,
regards!

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: Problems EMG sensors with Arduino

Postby BITalino » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 am

Hi there,

How are you powering the Arduino? One option would be to connect it to a laptop running on battery power.

Shielding the sensor may not be very effective given that the interference is likely coming from the mains.

Another option would be to connect the Arduino through a USB isolator module as described here:
http://forum.bitalino.com/viewtopic.php?t=143#p285

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Troubleshooting”