Device not showing in OpenSignal

For problems with the OpenSignals software
Zeriscope

Device not showing in OpenSignal

Postby Zeriscope » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:41 pm

My bitalino has paired with my PC but it does not show up in OpenSignals. This has been the case with all versions of OpenSignals, I have never been able to see my device in OpenSignals.

My PC had been running Windows 7 64bit but now it has been upgraded to Windows 10 64bit. The PC has a built in BT adapter. The version of OpenSignals that I am running is Bata 2015 64bit.

William

PGoncalves

Re: Device not showing in OpenSignal

Postby PGoncalves » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:37 am

Hi William,

Did you change the name of the device?
If you did change it back to BITalino or something that contains it (myBITALINO, bitalino_device, etc.)

Are you using the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack as the driver of your Bluetooth Adapter?
Make sure by going to Device Manager -> Bluetooth -> Second Click on your Bluetooth Adapter -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Generic Bluetooth Adapter

Zeriscope

Postby Zeriscope » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:51 pm

I never changed the name of the device.

The BT adapter is Intel and integrated into my laptop.

I have included several picture showing you my config.

I have also tried a Targus BT adapter and still can not get the device to show in OpenSiganals.
Attachments
bit2.PNG
bit2.PNG (94.15 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Bit1.PNG
Bit1.PNG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Bit3.PNG
Bit3.PNG (83.59 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

PGoncalves

Postby PGoncalves » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:04 am

Hi William,

I believe the problem is the driver controlling the Bluetooth Adapter. Please follow these steps:

Device Manager -> Bluetooth -> Second Click on Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Generic Bluetooth Adapter

Zeriscope

Postby Zeriscope » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:30 pm

I did not have an option for "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" under the manufacturer section.

I uninstalled the Beta ver of OpenSignals and installed the 2014 ver of OpenSignals and was able to connect via my current BT adapter (intel) but there again I run into an issue when I click on "start acquisition". Its 50 50 if the BT stays connected when data starts streaming.

PGoncalves

Postby PGoncalves » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:07 am

Hi William,

It's under GenericAdapter section.

Or just click on the checkbox Show compatible hardware and it will be there.

It's advisable to reinstall the Beta version since the problem you are having is not related to the version and the new Beta allows for a bigger number of features and a better user experience.

Zeriscope

Postby Zeriscope » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:59 pm

I have looked for "GenericAdapter" and can not find that. I have included a link to a short video showing what I have.

https://youtu.be/d6fxqQa40u0

PGoncalves

Postby PGoncalves » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 am

Hi William,

You are right, that option does not show. Thank you for the video.
Is there any way we can schedule a TeamViewer for me to try and solve that issue?
Meanwhile, could you tell me which operating system are you running along with your Bluetooth Adapter specifications?
Do you have a Bluetooth Dongle you can try? If you do, try and plug it in, disable your internal Bluetooth if you have to (it will probably disable on its own) and check if you can find the Generic Bluetooth Adapter.

Zeriscope

Postby Zeriscope » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:21 pm

I was able to use a dongle and update the driver to a GenericAdapter. Even with this dongle OpenSignals still doesn't see the device.

System Specs:
Lenovo W540
Windows 10
OpenSignals Win 64-bit (beta v.2015)
BT Adapter - Targus Bluetooth 4.0 Dual-Mode Micro USB Adapter

Here another video to show what is going on.
https://youtu.be/9wdSu6bwVqs

Im willing to do a teamviewer event. Please provide availability.

PGoncalves

Postby PGoncalves » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi William,

Again, thank you for the video.
If you can use the Generic Bluetooth Adapter Driver with the Dongle but not with your Internal Bluetooth Adapter, I'm guessing they are not compatible. It is recommended that you continue to use the Dongle.

The button you are clicking is for scheduling. It will search the surroundings for biosignalsplux devices that were previously added to the software and, if any found, it will let you schedule an acquisition to the internal memory card. Since you have a BITalino, you cannot use this function.

I believe the button you are looking for is the one that has a magnifying glass on it. When you click on it, OpenSignals will search the surrounding for any plux device that is able to acquire bio-signals. Once done, it will let you add one of the found devices to OpenSignals and configure its settings. Clicking the Record icon will start an acquisition with the Enabled devices.

Return to “Troubleshooting”