EDF format conversion app

What features should we add in future versions of BITalino?
RonS

EDF format conversion app

Postby RonS » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:05 am

EDF file compatibility of BITadroid and PluxDroid data files so that the open source, freely available EDFBrowser may be used as well as OpenSignals. JSON is clearly a leader in the future of neuroscience data standards due to the very large data files. But, the highly professional quality of the Bitalino has left many medical professionals, who do not have time for DIY projects without access to this technology because they learned the old standards using expensive professional biophysical data analysis software tools. Plux and Bitalino undoubtedly have product development plans and they should include a path from the old EDF files to the new data files. There are very large medical databases worldwide for EEG, ECG, etc. that researchers routinely examine with EDF being widely supported and there is a growing need to compare your JSON data to the proven standard databases in EDF file format. Perhaps, it a capabilty or selectable option to the BITadroid and PluxDroid apps or possibly a separate app for file conversion.
This wish is stronger when you consider analysis of biophysical measurement data using open source tools like EEGlab being learned at numerous universities around the world. Of course, it is clear that OpenSignals could, after further development, replace EEGlab but that appears to be relatively far in the future because EEGlab is also morphing rapidly. I am simply asking you to provide a path to the current standard files for the millions of doctors and medical researchers because they currently cannot read JSON files with their existing expensive government certified medical equipment software.

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: EDF format conversion app

Postby BITalino » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi there,

Many thanks for the suggestion... makes perfect sense and we'll add it to our development roadmap.

Hopefully later this year we can have our software exporting / importing data to / from EDF.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

RonS

Postby RonS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 am

Second thoughts on this wish:
I downloaded the free EDFbrowser to my laptop and unsuccessfully tried the built-in ASCII to EDF file converter selecting it from the menu bar. I had recorded a three minute ECG file of 3 channels using the Bitadroid app to produce the desired test file that was 29.6 kB zipped that unzipped into a 239.6 kB text file readable using Windows notepad (just double click on a ".txt" file extension to open it. The ASCII to EDF file converter is very easy to use but it is limited to a maximum 256 columns. My file contained 1024 columns and 256 rows. The file converter also halted or refused to start and displayed "physical file limit exceeded".
After further thought I want to withdraw or delete this wish because the existing biophysiology databases are filed with less accurate data than the Bitalino and new commercial certified systems produce. Besides, medical colleges are rapidly adopting the Bitalino in their lab classes so the new doctors will be bringing this new higher accuracy measurement data to the existing workforce - more likely than practicing doctors doing DIY projects before the EDF standards are replaced by new large data file formats like JSON. The next XDF format to replace EDF is already in its third year of development and review.
Another clear example of not continuing EDF files is High Density EEG which is replacing the aging 10X20 international standard EEG 19 electrodes with 32 to 128 electrodes because LORETA processing or frequency power spectrum data has brought powerful new analysis capability to diagnosis and monitoring - comparable to replacing 0.5 T MRI machines with 3T Machines and functional MRI. File sizes are growing rapidly with higher accuracy tectechnolog.The new techniques should not be impeded by clinging to old standards for less accurate data. Adding EDF file conversion to Bitadroid or conversionwould be like buying an antique car to drive on the autobahn.

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 am

Many thanks for the positive feedback regarding BITalino and all the insights and extensive research on this topic... its always very helpful for us to understand the practical needs and invaluable feedback of users such as yourself.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

RonS

Postby RonS » Mon May 02, 2016 1:57 am

I read in the other wish list items for "low energy or smart Bluetooth" that you are adding this capabilty in the next generation or upgrade of Bitalino. And, in the "additional metadata in the recorded files" that Bitalino will support the HDF5 file format. Some internet research on these two items quickly showed that EDFExplorer is on schedule as open source software to convert EDF and EDF+ files to HDF5 format and provide a much more capable file viewer than EDFbrowser. Your development plan is now much more clear and looks superb to transition from older, less accurate technology and analysis tools. Finally, the wish list item for "onboard recording" would be outstanding by addition of a device like a a microSD card device would bypass all communication interface problems and the numerous projects to develop interfaces to Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc. Viewing HDF5 files clearly requires a PC or laptop or an equivalent such as a Raspberry Pi using HDMI interface to a large screen display to run OpenSignals. I am eagerly waiting for your product improvements and new products. Many thanks for the support of this forum to help our DIY projects to use the capabilities of the Bitalino. I hope to see User Groups sharing biophysical data in files like OpenSignals.

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Mon May 02, 2016 7:11 am

Many thanks once again for the additional information... its great to hear that the EDFExplorer is also progressing to support the more recent HDF5 format such as we are.

The BLE capabilities will indeed already be available in our soon-to-be-launched BITalino (r)evolution model. A data logging module is also on our roadmap but we don't have a target release date yet.

Return to “Wish List”