OpenSignals on Linux

Share your doubts!
alpinist

OpenSignals on Linux

Postby alpinist » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:40 am

I haven't found any documentation for Linux so thought I'd share some tips for how I can get OpenSignals working on Ubuntu based distributions.

First you need to make sure you have Chrome installed. Also some distributions (such as Linux Mint) don't install Blueman by default either

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser blueman

Before you run setup.sh you need to make sure you have the packages python-dev and libbluetooth-dev installed. Most of the python module dependencies are in the Ubuntu repositories. I go ahead and install everything I can ahead of time.

sudo apt-get install python-h5py python-numpy python-zope.interface python-twisted python-dev libbluetooth-dev

(The first time through I missed libbluetooth-dev and couldn't figure out why the application would run and I could connect the device to bluetooth but the application could not see the device)

The application will look for google-chrome but chrome is actually installed as chromium-browser. Create a symbolic link to fix. (Probably can change the name somewhere in the python code)

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/chromium-browser /usr/bin/google-chrome

Then you can download and unpack the linux version of OpenSignals and run the setup.sh.

I had to chmod +x /usr/bin/OpenSignals/go.sh before it would run.

Connect your device to bluetooth.

Copy the desktop icon to your desktop or just run /usr/bin/OpenSignals/go.sh

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: OpenSignals on Linux

Postby BITalino » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi there,

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Installation”