camera trigger

Bluetooth, USB, UART, Storage, etc.
Von Duesenberg

camera trigger

Postby Von Duesenberg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:01 am

Dear all,

I was planning to use my Bitalino to trigger a camera; but before I try doing this, I'd be grateful if you could give me your opinion on this.

I understand that I'll have to connect one of the digital outputs to the trigger input of the camera, and write a "1" to this output for a brief time lapse, but I'm not sure which is the appropriate pin for the job on my (r)evolution plugged board.

The camera's datasheet says it needs a positive pulse between 3.3 and 12 volts; is this achievable at all with the Bitalino?

Thanks for your help.

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: camera trigger

Postby BITalino » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:21 am

Hi,

It should indeed be possible to achieve your desired goal with BITalino. On the back of the board you'll see several pins labeled Ox (x=1,2), in particular on the MCU block and on the side bars that have the plugs to which the sensors connect.

These are the digital output pins... you can toggle their state from the OpenSignals software by pressing the circles on the area labeled DIGITAL OUTPUT on the screen. You can also make a small tweak to the system to enable the state change to be controlled by the pushbutton.

To connect the digital output to the camera system you can either hardwire the GND and Ox pin of your choice to the camera input or (recommended), you can use an UC-E6 breakout cable to easily tap into to the pins:
https://store.plux.info/cables/229-open-wires-cable.html

You'll see that the two UC-E6 plugs on the top right hand side of the Plugged main board expose the Ox digital outputs. With the breakout cable you have the pins that need to be connected to the camera system in individual wires.

As for the voltage, BITalino is near the limit... it should work, but it needs to be tested as the output on the digital pin changes between 0V and 3.3V. In case the Ox pin connected directly is not enough to trigger the camera system, just let us know.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Von Duesenberg

Postby Von Duesenberg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:41 am

Hi,
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
I am going to write to the digital pin programmatically with Matlab.
So I'll give it a try within the forthcoming couple of weeks and let you know if it works.
Thanks again!

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 am

Its our pleasure to support... if you have any further questions just let us know.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “I/O”