Using PWR block with battery to power separate Arduino

Batteries, Adapters, Charging, etc.
geekonacid

Using PWR block with battery to power separate Arduino

Postby geekonacid » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I would like to use PWR module connected with LiPo battery to power Arduino Mini. When on, PWR module would work as an intermediary between battery and power input fro external Arduino (and allow battery charging via USB when off). Is it possible? I can't entirely decode various connections available on PWR module.

BITalino
Site Admin

Re: Using PWR block with battery to power separate Arduino

Postby BITalino » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:22 pm

geekonacid wrote:I would like to use PWR module connected with LiPo battery to power Arduino Mini. When on, PWR module would work as an intermediary between battery and power input fro external Arduino (and allow battery charging via USB when off). Is it possible? I can't entirely decode various connections available on PWR module.

Hi,

That's definitely possible... according to the Arduino Pro Mini specs it can be powered using a FTDI or a regulated 3.3V or 5V power supply:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini

BITalino's PWR provides multiple regulated 3.3V power pins; each pin is labelled on the back and also described here (under 'General Description'):
http://bitalino.com/downloads/bitalino_manual/manual.html

Connect DGND (or AGND) and DVCC (or AVCC) respectively to the Pro Mini's GND and VCC pins. When PWR is switched ON, the Arduino should be powered up and turn on. When PWR is switched OFF and a micro-USB cable is connected you'll be able to recharge the battery.

D- and A-labelled pins have no difference other than the fact that they are generated by independent voltage regulators on the PWR block. We've done this given that, in some cases, digital components drain higher currents in a non-stable way (e.g. the Bluetooth module), which can introduce noise in the analog sensor readings.

The two voltage regulators outputs enable one to power the digital parts of the circuit using one power line (e.g. MCU, Bluetooth, ...), and the analog parts of the circuit using another (independent) power line (e.g. ECG, EMG, ...).

Hope you found this information useful. Do contact us again should you have any further questions.

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

geekonacid

Postby geekonacid » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Thats exactly what I needed, thank you for a detailed response :)
Best regards,
G.

BITalino
Site Admin

Postby BITalino » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:39 pm

geekonacid wrote:Thats exactly what I needed, thank you for a detailed response :)
Best regards,
G.

You're welcome... we're very glad to help ;)

Best regards,
The BITalino Team

Return to “Power”